teknikill.net Forum Index teknikill.net
Motorola IMfree (MX240) Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

more protocol info needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: more protocol info needed Reply with quote

For anyone who has mx240ad and/or usbsnoopy set up and working, and wants to help, please bang away on the handheld and help me try to figure out more of the protocol. You can do this by trying certain functions of the handheld, observing the results, and trying to figure out what the codes mean. Please see mx240a-protocol.txt in CVS first to see what I have already discovered. When using mx240ad to examine the handheld, you'll probably need to write scripts to interface with mx240ad like mpd-bridge.pl to get much information. I am especially interested in why the protocol seems to fail after a short while of use. You can post your results here, or email them to me at (deweese AT myrealbox DOT com). Thanks.
doppa
newb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: more protocol info needed Reply with quote

This is what I found:

the first time I tried to register with base I refused and this was sent to hh

{ 2, 0xee, 0xc5 }

then I accepted and this was sent

{ 2, 0xee, 0xd3 }

the hh stores the base ID (and handheld name?) in nonvolatile memory
mscdex
newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using XP SP2 and I can't seem to get anything to capture using SnoopyPro or usbsnoopy.

How else can I help out, unless someone has a workaround or fix for getting a way to snoop usb traffic to the base station in xp sp2?
lou
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: more protocol info needed Reply with quote

doppa wrote:
This is what I found:

the first time I tried to register with base I refused and this was sent to hh

{ 2, 0xee, 0xc5 }

then I accepted and this was sent

{ 2, 0xee, 0xd3 }

the hh stores the base ID (and handheld name?) in nonvolatile memory

Thanks. I just got my IMFree today and was banging my head because I don't have a windows box, and was getting nowhere without being able to register the handheld. Is there more of the conversation than this? Shortly after "registering", the handheld loses contact with the base. Of course, that could be because I am trying to test this using mx240stdio from the command line and may just not be sending noop/poll often enough.

A possibly important part of the registration process may be that the handheld sends the "logoff" message to register. It is in response to that message that the above approve/refuse messages must be sent. There is no ACK in response to them.

I may just be brain-fried from the registration hurdle. I should probably be looking further on at this point. I see that I have gotten f18e and f18c (whatever that is) messages on my screen. That looks better than what I saw earlier. I'm just getting started trying to figure out what is there in the directory that I checked out from CVS.
lou
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

I am working on some code of my own to drive this thing. Nothing worthy of showing anybody yet; it is very much in flux. Anyway, I've gotten to the point where I can register the handset and send out the service name, handset name, and ringtones. According to the spike.txt files, I should be ready to receive a login from the handset at this point, but it never comes. I've, of course, tried pressing the button under the service name that I sent (" TEST "), hoping the handset would prompt me for credentials, but that does nothing. Bear in mind that I have never used one of these things with the Windows software, so I am very much guessing at how it is supposed to operate. Of course, the manual isn't much help.

At least it now plays a tune when it goes into sleep mode. Smile My code does properly receive the 0x8c message about the handset going offline, so it is not a matter of not sending enough poll packets.
mscdex
newb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

lou wrote:
I am working on some code of my own to drive this thing. Nothing worthy of showing anybody yet; it is very much in flux. Anyway, I've gotten to the point where I can register the handset and send out the service name, handset name, and ringtones. According to the spike.txt files, I should be ready to receive a login from the handset at this point, but it never comes. I've, of course, tried pressing the button under the service name that I sent (" TEST "), hoping the handset would prompt me for credentials, but that does nothing. Bear in mind that I have never used one of these things with the Windows software, so I am very much guessing at how it is supposed to operate. Of course, the manual isn't much help.

At least it now plays a tune when it goes into sleep mode. Smile My code does properly receive the 0x8c message about the handset going offline, so it is not a matter of not sending enough poll packets.

It's good to hear that active progress is happening on this project! Keep us updated when you get more. Smile
dusty
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

lou wrote:

You can't use 'TEST' as a service name, the device decides how to interface based on the second character i.e A = "_AIM__', M = '_MSN__', a = 'Yahoo_' (underscores represent spaces.) I only know how to interface in AIM mode, so you have to use a service name that has an A as the second character, i.e. 'lAmbda'. Hope that helps.
mscdex
newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
lou wrote:

You can't use 'TEST' as a service name, the device decides how to interface based on the second character i.e A = "_AIM__', M = '_MSN__', a = 'Yahoo_' (underscores represent spaces.) I only know how to interface in AIM mode, so you have to use a service name that has an A as the second character, i.e. 'lAmbda'. Hope that helps.

Whoa, didn't realize you were from Dayton too. Smile
lou
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

dusty wrote:

I figured (part of) that out when I plugged "_AIM__" in, came home where my handset/base are, and it worked. The part that you mentioned about keying off of the second character, I wouldn't necessarily have guessed. Thank you. Until I read this message, I was thinking maybe the entire string was magic. How did you find out about MSN and Yahoo? Are there others? Too bad Jabber couldn't be another, as it collides with Yahoo. Too bad, really, that we cannot define custom ones and just have them work without the fancy splash screen. Yahoo, for instance, just has a drab text-based splash screen which could have easily been composed from the service name.

I had wondered why lAmbda was working for y'all. Now I know.

I guess knowing the other service names may not be terribly useful after all, unless they all operate the same at the handset level (just displaying different splash graphics), since Motorola's app only does AOL.
dusty
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the major IM services as the service name. There could be more, but I doubt it because I think somebody disassembled the internal code and came across strings indicating these three services. The other service names could provide new functions, but it would be more difficult to reverse engineer them. They might also be incomplete.
AGK
newb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

lou wrote:
dusty wrote:

I figured (part of) that out when I plugged "_AIM__" in, came home where my handset/base are, and it worked. The part that you mentioned about keying off of the second character, I wouldn't necessarily have guessed. Thank you. Until I read this message, I was thinking maybe the entire string was magic. How did you find out about MSN and Yahoo? Are there others? Too bad Jabber couldn't be another, as it collides with Yahoo. Too bad, really, that we cannot define custom ones and just have them work without the fancy splash screen. Yahoo, for instance, just has a drab text-based splash screen which could have easily been composed from the service name.

I had wondered why lAmbda was working for y'all. Now I know.

I guess knowing the other service names may not be terribly useful after all, unless they all operate the same at the handset level (just displaying different splash graphics), since Motorola's app only does AOL.
i dont get it, are you guys saying you were able to log on to use something besides AIM? or not? if it does work for you, can you explain how you did it, cause I can get it to work only with aol instant messenger.
lou
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

AGK wrote:
i dont get it, are you guys saying you were able to log on to use something besides AIM? or not? if it does work for you, can you explain how you did it, cause I can get it to work only with aol instant messenger.

No. We were talking at the hardware level. The handset, itself, is capable of supporting AIM, MSN, or Yahoo. Motorola's program, which we are working on doing without, only supports AIM. One of the goals, as I understand it, of IMopen is to be able to support arbitrary chat services by creating our own driver program to support the device.

Unfortunately, at the hardware (firmware, actually) level, the handet will only recognize those 3 hardcoded service names, so while we might be able to support, say, Jabber; the service name, splash screen, etc. will all show one of those three while doing it. The firmware on the handsets is not accessible/upgradeable, so we have to just deal with its peccadillos.

But I suspect your question is about being able to use Motorola's program to chat on other services, and the answer to that is no.
AGK
newb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for clearing that up...

yes, that was my question that you answered
Quote:
But I suspect your question is about being able to use Motorola's program to chat on other services, and the answer to that is no.

thanks Wink.
lou
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: usbsnoop/spike request Reply with quote

Would somebody with the Motorola software and Windows please run it with the following test and capture the USB sesion with usbsnoop/spike?

Enter chat with a user.
Have that user send you a really long message. At least 80 characters.
While you're in there, send such a message from the handset to that user.

That should tell me what I need to know. I am trying to figure out how to send a long message to the handset without it getting split up into multiple lines. The latter part will tell me whether some guesses that I made about the other direction are correct.
mscdex
newb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: usbsnoop/spike request Reply with quote

lou wrote:
Would somebody with the Motorola software and Windows please run it with the following test and capture the USB sesion with usbsnoop/spike?

Enter chat with a user.
Have that user send you a really long message. At least 80 characters.
While you're in there, send such a message from the handset to that user.

That should tell me what I need to know. I am trying to figure out how to send a long message to the handset without it getting split up into multiple lines. The latter part will tell me whether some guesses that I made about the other direction are correct.

I could try again, but last time I tried, usbsnoop wasn't working for me. Also, are you talking about an instant message or a chat room message?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    teknikill.net Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: